Thursday, August 31, 2006

We now have a Kombi! Part 1 (OJG)

Hi everyone,

got back from my micro trip late last night, and boy do I have a lot to write!

So I guess start from the beginning...

We decided to go for a bike ride with Danny and Jody on Sunday morning. My flight was leaving at 12:30 so I figured I had plenty of time... (I can hear some of you chuckling already!). We just went to the harbour, had a quick bit of breakfast and then cycled back. Although we are both fairly unfit we managed the 16km round trip (which did have some hills), and we were not too puffed out at the end. I think it was a good introduction. We got back at about 10 which gave me an hour to get ready, an hour to get there, and 30 minutes to go through the terminal.

Everything went as planned, in fact we got there early! So early in fact that we went back out of the airport and filled the rental car with petrol. When we returned to the airport, Emelie and I chatted a little bit in the car, and then I thought I might as well go in. I got to the desk at 11:44, I thought it was a little strange that there was no queue, but did not increase my leisurely pace to the desk. Anyway, you've guessed it, the flight was leaving at 12:00 and they were in the process of closing check-in. Luckily I was let in (I had only hand luggage), and I raced to the Plane. Of course I needn't of worried too much, the plane was delayed by 20 mins due to a runway change.

The flight up north was nice, it took about 90 minutes in this Fokker 100 Jet. I was sitting on the right hand side so all I saw was endless desert with the occasional patch of green. I say endless desert like it is a bad thing, but really some of the patterns in the ground were very impressive. Unfortunately the in-flight meal was nowhere near that mark.

The airport at Learmonth (about 30 mins drive South of Exmouth) was very small. Really small. Which made it all the funnier watching this woman in impossibly long high heels and tight skirt walk out of the airport (not graceful at all) into what must be the only stretched limo for 1000km. The chauffeur was obviously a big surfer dude, and he was doing an impeccable job of trying to get all of this woman's luggage into the back of the limo (and still looking cool)... but in the end they just had to put the remaining half into the back of a pickup truck, and off they went into the distance.

Exmouth is a very small town. But more than that it has the appearance of being fairly new and also remote. Most of the homes are mobile homes of one sort or another, and most of the buildings still look very new and spartan. I did get to see that some of the houses a little further inland are actually quite solid looking and homely. This possibly reflects the difference between the people that are temporary residents and permanent ones. There was not much actual construction going on whilst I was there, but it was plain to see that large plots of land are being prep'd for new homes.

I stayed at the Potshot, otherwise known as the Potty! Incidentally Australians love to abbreviate everything, and I mean everything! Freemantle is reduced to Freo, Afternoon to Arvo, etc. I think the formula is to reduce the word to about 3-4 letters and then add an O or Y to the end. Luckily my name fits right in with that!

So, the Potty, a medium sized complex with rooms of various price, a pool area, a dining area, and of course a bar area. By "area" I actually mean seperate building. My room was very basic, the walls were corrugated sheet steel, a small window, and a bathroom with a shower. It didn't look the prettiest but it did have everything I needed, and everything worked fine. Btw, if Richard is reading this, they had those same wicker chairs all over the place!

After checking in at the Potty, I went to Gracie's, the other bar in the town to meet the owners of Charlie!

Oh and yes, you guessed it, they have emus that openly roam around the town... although they can be a little camera shy.

More in Part 2!

No comments:

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites