Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hi everyone (OJG)

Hi everyone, time for me to add a little bit to this blog!


Well it has been quite a trip so far, I suspect we would be displaying a lot more emotions if it were not for the jetlag. When we arrived Emelie said she wanted to go home, and we realised that we had no home... it hit us both like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, just to go over the last few days a little bit... The flights over were hard work, the BA flight was completely and utterly full and the seats were pretty small even for economy. No damn legroom. So no more BA flights on that route. Quantus was a delight, and they have about 30 videos and several dozen CDs that are all on-demand, so you can pause and play whenever you want.

Security at Heathrow wasn't too much of a problem, however due to the size restriction we both had packed over 12KG of "stuff" into our tiny carry-on bags, and although the Duty Free was interesting it was not interesting enough to numb the pain on the shoulders. I am still suffering, and do you think my masseuse wife does anything about it??!?!?!?

Singapore Duty Free was actually pretty damn good... I bought a couple of bits to add to my body tiltting bag, for at least 50% off the UK price. I would recommend it to anyone... and btw a 60GB video iPod is .... argh no pound sign on this keyboard... ok.... 220 UKP instead of the 300 UKP that it would cost in the UK, in case anyone is interested (we will fly back that route).

Weather-wise, it has been pretty cool at night, but nice and warm when the sun appears. 2 days ago it rained a little bit, which was fine. Apparently they have been waiting for rain all year, so it was lucky we came! Yesterday it rained some more, just whilst we were trying to find our way South of the river, which was also fine. And last night, it positively hurled down rain the whole night with a frightening gale that kept on slamming doors nearby... I knew the house was pretty sturdy, but I was sure something somewhere would give. Luckily it did not. That was also fine, but enough rain now, show us some sun!

Food so far has been pretty good, still waiting for my first Barby! Also, waiting for my first "Chooks" ... Chooks? I hear you cry... yes apprently that is a Chicken take away place... "like KFC, but 100% better and with real chicken"... I will let you know!

Stuff in general has been cheaper than the UK... Food is a lot cheaper, Electronics are about the same, kitchen stuff looks cheaper, cars are cheaper, the real surprise is that books are very expensive... I mean about double the UK cost... which is shocking.... especially as I left so many behind :(

Been spending a lot of time writing lists of stuff to do, oh and try and getting my damn GPS to work... well... it works beautifully, I just want to get the Australia maps on it cheaply as they are too damn expensive in the shops! Anyway, I think I am near to completion on that task, and I should be able to print off a screen grab to show you all where we are :)

Our mission for the next few days (should we chose to accept it), is to find a rental car, get our UK Cash exchanged with a decent rate (the bank wanted to take 5% on top of their commision charge!), look at camper vans, and visit friends and relatives in the Perth area. Oh and sort out remaining stuff that still needs sorting back in the UK... sigh.

Aha! Here is a picture taken from the GPS with all the maps loaded, and if you think this looks like a classic example of the suburbian planning, you'd be right. The road names have been removed to protect the innocent...

Oh and the picture at the top was just a quick and obviously unsmooth panoramic... they will get much better I promise!

Ok, I think that is it for the moment, time to read the book on that GPS.

Oly

No comments:

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites