Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Day 52: The Great Barrier Reef

Divers Log, Divedate 1...


I was only a little grumpy having to get up early... my instructor, Gary, was even grumpier after being kept up all night with a tooth ache. It's not often someone can out grump me in the mornings.

We travelled to three dive sites on the Aristocat. On the second dive, as we were getting our gear on, Gary said "The first in the water gets the big fish", he wasn't joking.

Upon entering the water, Gary (who by now was feeling a little better and, dare I say, playful) produced a bottle full of beef and emptied it in to the water. I looked on daydreaming in my own little world waiting for the cute little tiddlers to come aswimmin'. The biggest fish I have EVER seen in my life started coming towards us like an express train. Two of these and five loaves could have easily fed the five thousand.

Axel, as he is known to the locals, is a huge estuary cod and in its mouth you could easily fit a limb of your choice into. Much to my horror he (actually it is a she) was really friendly and as I was making the most movement (trying to get behind Oly) the bugger kept coming for me thinking I was going to feed her.

In my controlled panic I had a continuous jet of bubbles streaming from my regulator in a column above my head. Oly, on the other hand, had a continuous jet of bubbles streaming from his reg due to his uncontrolled laughter. No matter what he did to get in between Axel and I, the sod kept on going for me like a eager puppy. At one point I tried to use Oly to propel myself away and in my haste put my hand square on her very cold and solid body.

I need to buy myself some dive gloves...

Another long day tomorrow, lets hope we do a different set of dive sites.

Emelie

Location: Click Me!

No comments:

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites