Thursday, March 08, 2007

Day 39: Cairns

It seems we have left one hell (the arid outback) only to have entered another...

We have arrived safe and sound in hot, humid, hot, sticky, overcast, hot, drizzly, Cairns.

I really don't think I drank enough on the aircraft as I have had a terrible, terrible headache since we arrived. Pills and potions do not seem to be working and even though I am now drinking gallons of water (but not too much to get hyperhydrated and die) I still can't shift the bugger.

We discharged a can of Raid (bug killer) into Henry last night in the hope that if there were any extra passengers in him with more than two legs it would encourage them to leave and take all their belongings with them.

So today we emptied him out, every last bit of him, onto the grass. We threw away 2 bin bags of food that had been sweltering in the high 30's since we left and a few kitchen and toilet rolls that were sodden. There was mould growing on the wooden spoon, cabinet, salt and pepper grinders (which were also split and cracked) and even our maps. In fact there was mould growing on us by the time we had finished.

At 1PM, while we pondered our next move (by this time I was getting a bit fed up and Oly had his camera taking a picture every minute which was distracting and stressful as everytime the camera clicked it was "damn it" as only then did I remembered to suck my stomach and my chins in) the heavens decided to open and stupidly we had nothing to cover our gear and had to put it all back in Henry. Up went our tent, in went our belongings and off went I to bed.

Emelie

No comments:

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites