Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Hello from Margaret River - Part 2 (OJG)


Ok this is a sort of continuation from the last Margaret River blog...

Right, a few other things that I wanted to mention. First off, I went into a shop the other day bought a card at the till and saw this funny little book at the counter... "Aussie Slang Dictionary".. hmm... probably a waste of time... unless I bought it for the blog and added a word each day, perfect! So I bought the little book, and then put it in the back of Henry somewhere. And where do I suddenly see it again?! Emelie had grabbed the book and added Aussie Slang of the day onto her blog... pfff! It is just wrong! Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. And I won't even go into the text that I had prepared for Oodle ending dogs!

Also, I think I have mentioned this before, but people in shops over here are so friendly, I mean really truly friendly! And if you are looking for something in particular which they do not have in stock, they will immediately tell you the name of a competitor who might have it in stock. It doesn't help the guilt at all! We have found this to be particularly true of nearly every camp shop we have been to, where all sorts of conversations (non camping) have taken place.

I have noticed that an awful lot of restaurants and cafes sell Florentines (which is good) but that they do differ quite a lot not only from our typical European (and original!) Florentine, but also from each other. And whilst I love the original as one of my all time favourite foods (can it be classed as a food?), I am quite enjoying tasting all these variations. Some are very peanuty, whilst others are almost all chocolate. Some have all sorts of extra bits added on such as raisins and large dried fruit. Perhaps a chart of "Florentine of WA" will appear soon, with appropriate names given to each sub-class!

It is a really terrible thing to say, but I am starting to notice that our English accents do in fact sound drab and maybe a tiny bit depressed. I know the Australians love to end their sentences on a high, which makes things sound a lot more positive than they necessarily are. And I know that this is an annoyance to a lot of us Pommys, but when in the middle of a conversation, I can hear myself talk and the tones just don't sound as exiting as the rest. I notice this the greatest when saying hello to someone, they just sound so much more cheerful and enthusiastic about it! I have tried to deliberately sound over-cheerful, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it. I am not giving up my English accent that easily but something somewhere has to give!

Well, I think that is it for the moment. As we are out and about on camp sites at the moment, it is a lot more difficult and expensive for us to post to the blog, so it might end up being a bit more sporadic than the previous posts. Please check often and be patient :)

Also thank-you to everyone that has posted comments, please keep them coming, even if it just a "hi from me", it is great to know that our friends and family (and friendly family) are in some way still in contact, it really makes a huge difference to us.

Ok, well off for a cycle ride and then back to the camp site.

Oly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats the difference between family and friendly family?

Anonymous said...

Oly, I take your critique of Florentine's seriously. As a veteran (or perhaps mascot) of the Cosmo and having a Florentine named after you, that probably makes you a world authority.

Enjoyng the 'Grimwoods' Progress'

Lots of love, PB

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites