Friday, September 22, 2006

All quiet on the western front

It's been a while since I have added anything to this blog, sorry about that. It's not as if I have been busy.

Oly has already told you all about Hamlyn Bay, which is where my last post left off, and the fateful bike ride to Foul Bay and back. It was the worst bike ride or any type of day out that was meant to be fun in my whole life. I thought I would never get back to the camp, I was starving, we didn't take enough water, the hills were really steep to the point where we both had to get off our bikes and push even on the proper roads and the whole trip I had a view of the back of Oly peddling furiously in the distance, except when he was sliding towards me on one of the many impossible sand dune hills. Never again!

Apart from that Hamlyn Bay was pretty special, and Foul Bay was idyllic. We soon settled down and enjoyed the tranquility whilst our neighbours with a veranda, portable toilet and shower, struggled to align their satellite dish.

Speaking of toilets and showers, ablutions as they are called in the camp sites, they are really scary, I swear I have watched too many slasher horror movies. When I am washing my hands and I look back up to the mirror in front of me I expect to see candy man or someone with a scythe and a scream mask on. I won't go to the loo in the night so I have to stop drinking any liquids a few hours before I go to bed. When I do go in the dark (it gets dark at 6pm) I take the big 6 cell mag light as protection and make sure I am really quick! I am certain it is something I will get used to over time, either that or develop a bladder of steel.

Well we are still in Perth, preening Henry and getting ready for our launch out into the outback. I am dying to get back out there having disastrous bike rides and showering in flip-flops (UK) thongs (AU) All good things come to those who wait...

Em

Aussie slang for the day
Dunny = an outside toilet, lavatory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i knew dunny, but didn't know thong, so there you go!! so what do they call what we call a thong in the uk??!!.....perhaps a bot flop?? bib xxx

Anonymous said...

No! not 'bot flop' there's many names 'thong' 'g - banger' 'arse floss', so there you go. happy creative naming.

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites