Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Oz Life (V): Quality of Life (OJG)

This particular topic will probably pop up a few times, but I will write what my thoughts are on it at this time now.

Several people have asked me what I thought of the living over here? do I like it over here? and so on. I reply that the yes, the quality of life is without doubt better. I then try to think about specifics that make it better, and struggle.

Having given it some thought I think I can encapsulate it with the following 2 observations:

First of all "space". It goes without saying that Australia has a lot of space, possibly even the largest amount of space per capita in the world, or close to that. Space makes a lot of difference. Space to build a home, space to store stuff, space to park your car, space to play your music without disturbing the neighbours, space to build safe roads and cycle paths. In effect having a larger amount of space means less conflict, it is as simple as that.

Secondly, "common sense". This is a difficult one to describe, but basically there seems to be just a tiny bit more common sense used in all areas of life. Even as I write this is seems almost ridiculous but that is the point. Applying just a tiny bit more logic into every part of the Australian Life collectively ends up making a huge amount of difference.

You see, I am in no way saying that life here is perfect, it is not. But what if it were a tiny bit better, an almost unnoticeable amount better, but in nearly all aspect of ones day. Then it starts to make just enough of a difference. It works, at least right now anyway. I can't really give examples, but you will read about these little differences all over our blog, and maybe you too will be able to see the sum significance.

3 comments:

philip bergman said...

Emelie & Oliver,

Thanks for your card and Oliver, happy birthday for Friday. Looking forward to seeing you here soon.

Anonymous said...

Half 2 fat ladies - 33! Long ago and far away...
Be happy
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi yu 2. Great adventure. Hope Yu and Henry get together in Cairns. Busy here with guests and a visit to Dunsborough for R&R with friends. Enjoying your blog now that I have the time to read it. Luv Dick and Alpha

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites