Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Day 22: Barkly Homestead - Cloncurry

We have been saved!

Oly got up at 5:30AM to catch the early morning trucks that would be outside Barkly Homestead waiting for it to open for breakfast.

When I woke up I tidied up Henry and spent an hour plucking up the courage to go into the ablutions where a dozen hornets were waiting to ambush me. Good job I googled hornets and it said if you kill one close to the nest the whole clan comes out to defend it. I had emptied a can of Raid into the crack of the door (my fire fighting training wasn't for nothing!) prior to the googling, but I don't think any died. When they started to come towards me instead of flying away in fear I knew I was not going to shower that day.

Finally around 11:30AM a road train pulled in going in the right direction with room for Henry. Plus the driver, Steve, said he could take us too. Townsville here we come!

I quickly showered in the hornet free gents. Even I didn't want to travel 100's of kilometres with me in a close confined space.

Henry was forklifted onto a trailer, we climbed up into the cab and didn't try to hide our excitement being in a road train. There were only two seats so I perched on the bed behind them.

Road trains are pretty cool. They have high ceilings so they are really roomy. It was a surprisingly bumpy ride, however even at 90 km/h you feel like you are only going at 50.

We are staying in Cloncurry tonight and tomorrow we will arrive in Townville. Hopefully we will be able to sort Henry out.

Em

Miles: 600km
Time: 8 hours
Location: Click Me!
Temp: 35c

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites