Monday, June 04, 2007

Toyota Prado Back Shelf (OJG)

Having spent a small fortune getting the Toyota pimped up, there was one more accessory we badly needed before we could enjoy uncluttered heaven (it doesn't exits, but we still try!).


The rear shelf. Originally I had wanted to purchase a specially manufactured drawer system, but these cost a good $2000, which was just a bit too steep. Obviously had I had all my tools with me I could have knocked one up in no time at all, hehe. But given that I had no tools, I opted to just make a shelf, or what would more accurately be called a raised floor. This would then allow plastic boxes to be stored underneath.

So we had a week in Townsville, perfect time to get on with it.

I pencilled in 2 days to get it finished, and thought I had better check out the local Bunnings (DIY megastore) beforehand and see what sort of cutting services they offer. From experience, the service varies quite a lot from store to store. Some do not have it at all. Some have it, but it is always out of action. Some have it, but they only like to do a couple of simple cuts. some have it, but begrudge doing it, usually muttering that it is only $99 to buy a circular saw. And some take real pride in doing the cuts.

As it turns out, I had a mix of the last 2. I went there and spoke to a well weathered man. He suggested coming in the evening to get the cuts and avoid the busy period of the morning when all the tradesman are in. Great idea! Unfortunately when I returned that evening, the old man was gone and there was only some fresh new guy. I needed 14 pieces of wood cut, one of them came out the right size. One of them was so bad that I had to return the following morning and get it re-cut. Luckily the original man was there. He spent more time cutting one piece than all previous 14, but boy was it accurate!

I already had a small tool bag with me, which contained amongst other bits: a Stanley ratcheting screwdriver (btw, I think this is the absolute best you can buy, as it has a solid bit holder at the end, with a magnet to hold it. No ball bearing which invariably always comes out); a Stanley knife (Also exceptional, as it gets so compact); a small ratchet and socket set; an adjustable wrench, a small tape measure, a few very small drill bits.

I would need a little more to complete this job . But, I still wanted to achieve it a minimum amount of cost. I designed the shelf to be simple to make and then assemble. In theory with the wood pre-cut, I would just have to drill about 100 holes and bolt it all together. Of course such that all I would need to do to assemble it (having got the wood pre-cut) was drill bolt holes. Oh and shape cut the rear corners so that it would fit the curved sides of the vehicle.

I went and bought a $10 metal file, a $4 hack saw, a 30 piece drill bit set for $7, some sanding paper, an $18 metal rule, and finally a drill. How much? I'll tell you how much... $16.88. Yep, that is 6.75 GBP. It even has hammer action, variable speed, an extra grip and even a built in spirit level. And yes you see correctly, the hammer action drill costs less than a strip of 50cm metal with some etchings on the top. I really do think we do live in a crazy world sometimes.

The wood cost me about $100 altogether, and the bolts, washers, nyloc nuts, wood screws, piano hinges, L-plates cost about another $100. I also had to buy 4 semi special M10 bolts with a 1.25 thread pitch to fit the fixing points in the Prado. They also cost the same as the drill!

So, with all my wood, tools, and fasteners, the work got underway.

Day 1: I made a tiny jig with one of the L-plates so that I could easily mark out the spots that needed drilling. I then drilled all the holes in the main structure and attached the L-plates. Next up I marked the 2 side plates, added L-plates and then attached them to the Prado. I slotted in the main structure and marked out where it would attach to the side plates.

Emelie, who said she would help me the previous day, got out of the roof tent nice and early, and proceeded to large tent, where she unrolled her yoga mat and carried on her sleep. For pretty much the whole day.

Day 2: I attached the support timber underneath the main structure, and also added thin runner strip on the other side. Next I cut the corners off the sides trying to achieve a perfectly fitting edge, I got close enough. After that I attached the edge pieces to the main structure using the piano hinges. The screws that came with the hinges were a tiny bit too long so I shortened them down using the metal file. Next I cut a piece of carpet I bought ($5), and glued it to the top. Finally, I got it all into the Prado and fixed / tightened the remaining bolts.

On day 2, I told Emelie that she was not allowed to sleep in the big tent like the day before, which she said was fine and spent the whole day sleeping in the roof tent. Luckily, I did have a little bit of help from this little guy! Not sure what made him so keep to stay, but that is what he did, for the whole day. Generally just to keep an eye on the wood and bolts, but occasionally to do a quick tour of the inventory before returning to his post.

Overall, it all went fairly well. A couple of the bolt holes just don't want to align, but there is a hefty amount of over-engineering so they won't be missed! The unit is as solid as anything and should easily be up to the challenge of some off-roading. I doubt it is tougher than the Prado which surrounds it, but if it were in any lesser car such as a Mini or Nippa, I am certain that it would actually be the safest place to be in an accident.

I did toy with the idea of making one which could be flat packed after the removal of only 4 bolts, but then remembered that we only had 1 week in Townsville. Next time!

Oly

No comments:

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites