Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Day 14: Kings Canyon

Up again at 5AM. Today we visited Kings Canyon and completed the rim walk.

This walk begins with a 100m steep climb to the top of the canyon which the locals call "heartbreak hill" or "heart attack hill". I know what it felt like to me... then a 7km walk with a gradual decent back to the bottom. Climbing up I had to use my hands as blinkers so I would not see the bottom. Once at the top I kept my eyes firmly away from the sheer drop edge. I don't know how people can stand on the edge, it scares the life out of me!

It was very eerie, there was no sound or animals except for the occasional bird. Even the insects were in very short supply. The birds showed no fear, I guess up there they have no natural predators.

The rim is littered with strange beehive domes of rock and enclosures that make you feel like you are in an amphitheatre, this is known as The Lost City. It was not until after our walk we found out the name of these formations and suddenly it all made sense.

Half way through our walk we descended to The Garden of Eden, this is a waterhole with lush vegetation and very brave swimmers... Oly being one of them. After seeing him surrounded by yellow water it made me even more determined not to go in. The only down side to this oasis was the climb back up to the rim.

That afternoon a wily-wily picked our tent up and rolled it over. The tent was ripped and a mess. We had to hold it down whilst trying to empty and dismantle it, during which storm winds decided to build. I wouldn't mind if it brought rain!

We are getting a bit braver at night now and letting a few toes poking out of the back door curtain. One day we are really going to regret it when some eagle eyed bird thinks they are worms.

Em

Temp: 42c

No comments:

Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Add to Technorati Favorites